We all want to be healthy, right? For Dr. Michele and I, this passion has consumed our lives. It’s not that we overvalue the physical part of wellness; it’s that we value the totality of wellness.
Unfortunately, it takes a serious medical issue to serve as a wake-up call for many in regard to the consequences of a poor lifestyle. That is why we both put great focus on what we put in our mouths. After all, what we put on our mouth has the greatest impact, by far, then anything else we can do to or through our bodies.
So what is a typical eating plan look like for us? Actually, it is very simple. We generally use a Paleo plan as a template. With that said there are a few basic principles that we follow on a daily basis:
- We choose organic plant sources as much as possible. We strive for 80% of our carbohydrates, at minimum, to come from low glycemic items.
- We search for sustainably raised or grass fed protein sources.
- We eat plenty of healthy fats and omega-3 rich foods like avocados, olive oil, coconut, raw nuts, and seeds.
- We avoid highly processed and inflammatory omega-6 fats like canola, sunflower, corn, and soybean.
- We limit grains to no more than one cup a day. Our favorite grains include quinoa, long grain or brown rice.
- We limit dairy and select goat cheese where appropriate.
- We absolutely limit and restrict refined and whole-grain flour products to avoid gluten and blood sugar spikes.
- We use Stevia to sweeten our coffee and tea.
We diligently search for and select foods low in pesticides, antibiotics, hormones and GMO’s. Further,
we avoid chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, MSG, and artificial sweeteners.
So there you have it! By following the guidelines above, we ensure our lives are relatively free of inflammation, sickness, and disease.