One of the hallmarks of getting older is a decline in hormone levels. Production of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, thyroid, DHEA, melatonin, human growth hormone, Cortisol and other hormones tapers off after we reach our 20′s and 30′s.
And many experts agree that age-related hormonal deficiencies contribute to the signs and symptoms of aging.
That’s why bioidentical hormone replacement therapy is a cornerstone practice at the Functional Medical Institute. Bioidentical hormones are identical to those produced in the human body and this therapy is important for both men and women.
Dr. Michele has changed my life! I’m a 44 year old male and have never had all of my hormones checked. Once my hormones were balanced, my body responded in a truly remarkable way. In 8 weeks I lost 12% body fat and look and feel better than I have in 20 years. Dr. Michele is an awesome doctor and I have already sent four people to see her. A thousand mile journey starts with a first step. Make Dr. Michele your first step! -FMI Patient
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy is considered so safe that some of these hormones are available in health food stores and conventional pharmacies. But others are specifically tailored for each individual and must be ordered by a physician able to accurately interpret the results of testing and then prescribe the perfect dose for optimal balance through a compounding pharmacy.
This degree of personalization offers all patients a hormone regimen that is just right for them.
Looking to learn more about hormones?
We’ve put together a free online course, and by the end of it, you’ll fully understand how hormones work, how they affect your body, and how to keep them all in balance.
The course is laid out in 16 easy-to-digest videos, and you can enjoy the course from any device, any time.
Enroll in the Hormone Course (for free)
How does bioidentical hormone replacement therapy work?
First, Dr. Michele L. Neil-Sherwood will test your levels of various hormones in the blood (the international gold standard), and if they are low, recommend bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. The goal is simply to bring your levels up to what they were when you were in your physical prime—and help you look and feel better than you have in years.
Your individualized program of bioidentical hormones, based on your age and medical status, may include some of the following:
Estrogen and Progesterone
Natural estrogen and progesterone are a godsend for women going through menopause. In addition to helping prevent hot flashes, mood swings, vaginal dryness, bone loss, and other common menopausal concerns, bio-identical estrogen and progesterone protect against heart disease.
This is in contrast to the widely publicized negative effects of synthetic, adulterated drugs that are poor substitutes for natural hormones.
Furthermore, bio-identical estrogen and progesterone are better tolerated than conventional drugs. Plus, they give women peace of mind that they’re using therapies that are safe and natural.
Although estrogen and progesterone have been prescribed to women for years, testosterone use has lagged—and older men have suffered as a result. Supplemental testosterone helps build stronger bones and muscles. It improves libido, erectile function, mood, and overall well-being.
Testosterone also protects against diabetes and strengthens failing hearts. And it’s not just for men—we also prescribe very low doses of testosterone for our female patients to perk up libido and sexual function as well as improve cognitive function, heart strength and much more.
Melatonin, DHEA, and Adrenal Hormones (Cortisol)
Your personalized natural hormone replacement program may also include melatonin, which facilitates sleep and protects against cancer, and DHEA, which helps with abdominal obesity, bone strength, libido, memory, mood, and lupus and cortisol for adrenal fatigue, fibromyalgia and post-traumatic stress syndrome to name a few.
What conditions benefit from bioidentical hormone replacement therapy?
- Cancer prevention
- Dry skin and hair
- Erectile dysfunction
- Heart disease and Heart failure
- Loss of muscle mass
- Low libido
- Menopausal symptoms
- Migraine headaches
Dr. Michele is an authority on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and authorized representative of bioTE Medical. Learn more about bioTE, a safe and effective hormone replacement therapy.
To find out if you are a candidate for natural Hormone Replacement Therapy, contact us today.
FAQ: Hormone Replacement
- How often will I need treatment? It depends on the person, but anywhere from 4-6 months.
- Are there any side effects or complications? Unlike other forms of hormone therapy, there are few side effects. Two percent of patients experience mild acne or facial hair, and less than 1% experience hair thinning. All of these mild side effects are easily treatable.
- I get horrible headaches, will this help me? Yes! Bio-Identical Therapy has had great success with hormone-related headaches.
- As a woman, do I still need estrogen? Bio-Identical absorbable estrogen is the most important hormone for a woman to protect her against heart attack, stroke, as well as osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s. Synthetic estrogen taken orally does not offer the universal benefits.
- I have no libido, what will this do for that if anything? Good hormone balance will greatly improve your sexual desires.
- Will I grow unwanted hair from the testosterone? There is less chance of hair growth with bio-identical hormones.
- Do I need other medications? Unless the uterus has been removed, women will also need progesterone, to protect the uterine lining.