10 is a unique number. It has been used variously in our society including, describing perfection or indicating an expected percentage. In either of these contexts, the overlying theme is a targeted goal.
As a man with principles, I operate under the premise that if I give 10% of my income to the local church, I know (principle speaking) I will be blessed with more to give. Personally, I have seen that proved many times over during my lifetime.
With that said, how about we target 10% of our daily time targeting our wellness. I have spoken before about the necessity to effectively manage each of the 1440 minutes we are granted daily.
10% of 1440 minutes is 144 minutes. This roughly equals 2 hours and 24 minutes. By DEDICATING 10% of you total allotment of daily time to wellness, you will be blessed with MORE to give.
A Guide for Spending 10% of Your Time on Wellness
- Dedicate 30 minutes to some sort of physical activity. Walking is always an option and is a very safe form of exercise. Studies have shown, minimal amounts of walking lends itself to a longer life (refer to my article on this topic).
- Spend 35 minutes preparing a healthy meal. The meal should consist of lean protein (fish, chicken, beef, etc.), vegetables, and a piece of fruit.
- Journal for 5 minutes. Write about what you experienced with the physical activity exercise above. What did you do and where?
- Spend another 35 minutes preparing a healthy meal. By doing this again, you can ensure you are at least getting two meals a day of great quality.
- Spend 15 minutes talking with your spouse or significant other. This conversation is uninterrupted and void of distractions (no TV or cell phones allowed).
- Read a motivational or uplifting book for 15 minutes. Have you read our books, The Quest for Wellness and Fork Your Diet?
- Spend 9 minutes being quiet. Do not allow interruption. This is often utilized first thing in the morning or late in the evening. It is critical to dedicate this time to practice prayer, meditation, or simple intra-spection (e.g. How did I do? Can I improve?).
There you have it! 144 minutes (10%) guaranteed to be NOT WASTED TIME. Incorporate this plan in your life (or a form thereof), and you will see you time multiplied and blessed!