Both Dr. Michele and I recognize that alcohol can be very much a part of social gatherings. Whether we agree or not is not the point. Here is the point, however:
Alcohol is indeed a toxin and can have debilitating toxic effects.
Also it is important to mention that some people indeed can have a genetic intolerance to alcohol – that is, your genes don’t control the metabolism of alcohol effectively.
Avoiding the Hangover
We all are very familiar with the overly toxic effects of alcohol, known as a hangover. Those effects include headache, nausea, thirst, and a dis-inclination to look at sunlight.
With that said here are a few nutrients one should consider when choosing to have one or two drinks (hopefully not more):
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin C
- Coenzyme Q10
All of these nutrients are critical the detoxification process.
As a brief reminder, phase 1 of the detoxification process begins upon ingestion of the toxin. Most toxins behave like fat and therefore are fat soluble.
Because our blood is principally water and because fat don’t dissolve in water, these fat-like toxins tend to stick in the bodies fatty regions instead of getting washed out and flush away.
Therefore they must be converted to a more water soluble substance. This is actually the first step, or phase 1, of the detoxification process.
Phase 2 of Detoxification
In order for the toxin to be converted to the phase 2 – now non-toxic substance, additional nutrients must be bound to the new substance. Those nutrients are the ones previously mentioned.
So, if one does decide to imbibe on a bit of alcohol at a social event, it is wise to have a stock of the aforementioned nutrients present and on hand.
Avoid the often used acetaminophen.
This is very dangerous and presents the most common drug related toxicity in our country today.
So there you have it! Avoidance is certainly best, but if you do decide to take a drink, now you have this remedy to minimize the toxic effects of alcohol.