Along with age comes memory and cognitive decline. In addition to an appropriate nutritional protocol and good exercise, science shows that there are many nutrients that are potent for supporting the health of the brain. The following is a list of nutrients that have been studied through time and may be worth while to investigate for the purposes of helping sustain your brain power.
Consult with your physician or health care provider before starting any of the following nutrients to determine which support may be right for you.
- Curcumin: 400-800 mg
- Lipoic acid: 240-480 mg daily
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine: 1000-3000 mg daily
- Fish Oil: Providing 1400 mg EPA and 1000mg DHA daily
- Vinpocetine: 10-30 mg daily
- Phosphatidylserine: 100 mg daily
- Coffee (caffeinated) 3-5 cups daily, ideally standardized to provide highest concentration of polyphenols
- Blueberry extract: 150-750 mg daily
- Green tea extract: (standardized to 98% polyphenols): 725-1450 mg daily
- Resveratrol: 250 mg daily
- Whole grape extract: 150 mg daily
- Magnesium: 140 mg daily as magnesium-L-threonate and at least 100mg daily as magnesium citrate
- B12: 1000-5000mcg daily
- B6: 250 mg daily
- Folate (preferably as L-methylfolate): 400-1000mcg daily
- Vitamin D3: 5000-8000IU daily: optimal blood levels of 25-OH-Vitamin D are between 50-80ng/ml
- Coenzyme Q10: (preferably ubiquinol): 100-300 mg daily
- N-acetylcysteine: (NAC):600-1800mg daily
- Ashwagandha extract: 250 mg daily
- Alpha glyceryl phosphoryl choline: 600 mg daily
- Huperzine A: 200-800 mcg daily
- Panax Ginseng: 400-1000mg daily
- Vitamin E: 400 IU daily with at least 200 IU gamma tocopherol
Need help determining which nutrients may be right for you?
Schedule an appointment at the Functional Medical Institute of Tulsa. We would love to help!