Makes 6 servings. Prep time: 3.5 hours.
- 2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup cabernet Sauvignon, optional
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 6 each garlic clove, chopped
- 2 each rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 4 cups cauliflower, steamed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt coconut oil. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Add ribs to pan; cook for 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Add beef broth to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Combine broth, wine, and tomato paste in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place ribs, celery, carrot, garlic, rosemary, and onion in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour broth mixture over rib mixture. Cover with foil; bake at 300° for 3 1/2 hours or until ribs are very tender.
- Uncover dish; strain broth mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid. Reserve ribs; discard remaining solids. Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour reserved liquid into bag. Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain liquid into a small saucepan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Add glutem free flour to pan, stirring well with a whisk. Place pan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Serve sauce with ribs and mashed cauliflower. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Variation: In step 3, place the ingredients in a crock pot instead of the oven. Cook on low for 5 hours.
Per serving (excluding unknown items): 603.5 Calories; 49.2g Fat (75.9% calories from fat); 21.6g Protein; 13.6g Carbohydrate; 96mg Cholesterol; 702mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 7 1/2 Fat.